One in two American adults struggle with gum disease. Many people don’t realize that gum, or periodontal disease is the number one cause of adult tooth loss. As a periodontal dentist, Dr. Wank specializes to perform a wide range of treatments to stop the progression of gum disease, replace missing teeth and make the appearance of the smile more aesthetically pleasing.
Give attention to your swollen or bleeding gums. Be aware of your earliest symptoms for periodontal (gum) disease. Your first signs can often appear mild but should be diagnosed as soon as possible.
If you have gum disease and need a NYC periodontist, Dr. Wank will review your options during a personalized consultation. Call the office today to schedule an appointment.
What is periodontal care?
Periodontal care helps keep your gums healthy. Your gums play an essential role in preserving your oral health because they support your teeth and protect your jawbones. But the bacteria in your mouth can cause infections or decay along your gumline. This type of decay is known as periodontal disease or gum disease.
Gum disease can lead to tooth and bone loss when left untreated. As an experienced periodontist, Dr. Wank is mainly concerned with: preventing the onset of gum disease (periodontal disease); diagnosing conditions affecting the gums and jawbone; and treating gingivitis, periodontitis, and bone loss.
Periodontal disease is a progressive condition and the leading cause of tooth loss among adults in the developed world. With Dr. Wank, you receive periodontal care from an expert.
What are the symptoms of gum disease?
The most common conditions treated by a periodontist are:
• Missing Teeth • Red, Tender Gums • Gums that Bleed • Receding Gums • Puffy or Swollen Gums • Changes in your Bite • Pus Along the Gumline • Bad Breath • Bad Taste in the Mouth
If you develop gum disease, it’s crucial to call Dr. Wank to receive care as soon as possible. Early detection and treatment help protect your oral health.
How is gum disease treated?
Some of the treatments commonly performed by Periodontist Dr. Wank are:
• Implant Placement – When a tooth or several teeth are missing, Dr. Wank is able to create a natural-looking replacement by anchoring a prosthetic tooth to the jawbone.
• Osteoplasty (hard tissue recontouring) – Once periodontitis has been treated, Dr. Wank can recontour the hard tissue to make the smile both natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing.
• Gingivoplasty (soft tissue recontouring) – As gums recede due to periodontitis, the teeth may appear longer; causing a “toothy” smile. As an expert periodontist, Dr. Wank can remove tissues or straighten the gum line to make the teeth look more even.
• Bone Grafting – Dental implants can only be positioned if there is sufficient bone to attach the prosthetic tooth to. If bone loss has occurred, bone grafting is an excellent way to add or “grow” bone so that an implant may be properly secured.
• Deep Pocket Cleanings – As gingivitis and periodontitis progress, it becomes more difficult to cleanse the pockets between the soft tissues and the teeth. Dr. Wank can scale and root plane the teeth (sometimes under local anesthetic) to remove debris and infection-causing bacteria.
• Crown Lengthening – In order to expose more of the natural tooth, periodontist Dr. Wank, can remove some of the surrounding gingival tissue.
It’s easy to overlook the symptoms of early gum disease. Because the initial symptoms are mild, like swollen or bleeding gums, you may not realize the seriousness of the problem. This issue won’t resolve itself and can lead to bone degeneration, loose teeth, and eventually tooth loss.
Dr. Wank offers in-depth dental exams to detect gum disease in its earliest stages. If he detects signs of gum disease, he will customize a treatment plan to stop the damage and re-establish a healthy mouth. Dr. Wank DDS offers comprehensive periodontal care to remove decay and clear up infections.
As a periodontist, Dr. Wank is able to treat mild, moderate and advanced gum disease by first addressing the bacterial infection at the root of the problem.
We encourage checkups twice a year and good home habits to prevent gum disease from developing. Early gum disease can sometimes be resolved with a thorough dental cleaning. During your cleaning, our hygienist scrapes away tartar and plaque.
If your gum disease requires surgery, Dr. Wank will review with you the many options there are to treat gum disease.
Dr. Wank DDS is a NYC periodontist and first graduated from New York University with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree. He then studied a post graduate training program, in order to qualify as a periodontist.
Conveniently located Midtown Manhattan – Upper East Side NYC.>
Call the office today to get the best periodontal care you need.